While your here in and around the lake.
- Inspect the shoreline near your camp and look at all of the aquatic plants.
- Use the VLMP quick key criteria to detect slightly suspicious plants.
- If you find a suspicious aquatic plant, mark the location with a weighted buoy and carefully collect a specimen for confirmed identification. Do not attempt to remove the entire plant!
- Place the specimen in a container of water and store in a cool place.
- Take specimens directly to Mary at the LEA Main Street office in Bridgton OR take
- a photo and send to Mary by email for quick identification. Mary will send suspicious specimens to VLMP; VLMP will send suspicious specimens to a laboratory for DNA testing.
Err on the side of caution. If you find a milfoil, consider it a suspicious plant, collect a specimen, and submit it for identification as directed. Contact the Maine Volunteer Lake Monitoring Program at 207-783-7733 or email@example.com for further instruction or additional information.